Make a “Dawa” Cocktail at home!
Dawa is a classic Kenyan cocktail originally inspired by the caipirinha. It is a refreshing blend of vodka, lime juice and honey, garnished with a slice or two of lime and a ‘Dawa Stick’ to stir the sweet honey.
It’s name is derived from the Swahili word meaning “medicine” and it is best enjoyed as a delicious sundowner, it’s the perfect refreshing cold drink to unwind with after a day of exhilarating game drives.
Whilst it would ideally be best enjoyed in the midst of the African Savannah whilst watching the sun go down, in the meantime why not try re-creating it at home and catch up on our latest social media posts instead!
We are sharing lots of virtual safaris and lovely stories from our clients who have been on a safari with us!
With a Dawa in hand it is the perfect way to dream and mentally transport yourself to the African plains.
Recipe for a “Dawa” Cocktail
- 50ml Vodka
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 lime, quartered
- Honey-coated stir stick (garnish)
- Place the quartered limes and brown sugar into a glass.
- Crush the limes and add ice into the glass.
- Pour in the Vodka.
- Twist a “Dawa” or honey stick into the honey and add it to your glass.
- Muddle the limes with the stick. This will help distribute the honey.
If you do make it be sure to send us photos and tag us on Social Media! We’d love to see them!