African Safari Diaries: Marking a 60th Birthday with a special Kenyan safari
Louise treated herself to an African safari for her 60th birthday last year, something that had been on her wish list. She chose Kenya as her safari destination and told us all about her trip, and shared some incredible photos. We hope you enjoy reading all about it!
1. Was this your first time visiting Kenya? What made you decide to visit?
Yes, it was my first time visiting Kenya, but certainly not my last!
An African Safari is something that I have always wanted to do, and with my 60th birthday looming, I decided to treat myself.
2. How did you choose your itinerary?
I was initially unsure which part of Africa I wanted to go to, so did some research and came across Saga Holidays. Being over 55, it made sense to have a look at what they had to offer. Their Kenyan Safari seemed perfect, and was within my budget. I decided to go in November, as it is not so hot.
3. Where did you stay whilst on your trip and what was your favourite property and place?
The holiday consisted of 2 days travelling with 7 nights in hotels/lodges and tented camps, all meals were included.
On the first day of our safari we visited Ol Pejeta Chimpanzee Sanctuary, met Baraka, a blind rhino, then went for a game drive in Ol Pejeta Convervancy. There is a breeding programme for white rhinos here which is very successful and they are very well guarded against poachers. We stayed just one night at the Sweetwaters Tented Camp, this was my favourite and I would have liked to stay a little longer.
At this camp there was a watering hole and when we arrived there was a black rhino and elephant visiting.
Then on to Lake Nakuru National Park staying in the Sarova Lion Hill Lodge for 2 nights.
We had a long drive to the Sarova Mara Game Camp in the Masai Mara Game Reserve with game drives both in the morning and afternoon.
4. What were the highlights and special memories from your trip?
There were many highlights and I feel so lucky as on my first safari ever I got to see so much. Here are my top 5.
- Seeing a leopard on our first day.
- The rhino and calf crossing the road in front of our jeep.
- The 3 cheetah brothers were a pleasure to watch.
- The lions putting on a show for us at the side of the road.
- The elephants – they were hiding from us but we caught up with them on the last day of the safari.
5. Do you have any advice or tips for anyone thinking of going to Kenya for a holiday?
I would say that if you are thinking of booking a safari, go to Kenya. You won’t be disappointed. The Somak team were brilliant. I was fortunate to have Duncan as the guide and Sam was our driver – can’t praise them both enough.
If, after reading about Louise’s experience, you would like to book a Kenyan Safari you can find out more here: https://www.somak.com/kenya-safari
We would love to work with you to plan the safari holiday of a lifetime. For more information on how our safari experts can help you, call Somak Holidays today on 020 8423 3000.
All photos are credited to Louise Boffey.